Unabridged Birth Certificate Law

Unabridged Birth Certificate Law

From the 1st of June 2015 every traveller under the age of 18 will have to take an unabridged birth certificate along with them. No passenger will therefore be allowed to travel without these papers- be it by land, sea or air.child-492562 640

This does NOT apply to minors travelling through the country on domestic flights or cruise-liners who only stay within the borders of the country. However- if travelling in sports & school groups or with grandparents- these documents ARE required.

And before panicking: It also does NOT apply for travellers who are in direct international transit, passing through SA’s international airports. (This was originally planned but due to the fact that it would have had too many impacts on the tourism industry of the neighbouring countries it has been changed again)

So this means in case one parent is travelling with a child the following items will have to be brought along:

  • An Unabridged Birth Certificate showing both parent’s details
  • A new affidavit (within the last three months) in which the inattentive parent gives agreement for the child to travel, or a court order permitting full parental responsibilities or legal supervision of the child.
  • a Death Certificate, in the case if one parent is no longer alive.

In case you are travelling with a child of which you are not the biological parent, please do not forget to bring along the following:

  • An Unabridged Birth Certificate showing the details of both parents
  • A new affidavit from the father and mother or legal guardians proving an agreement for the child to travel with you
  • Copies of the identity documents or passports of the biological parents or legal guardians
  • The contact details of the mother and father or legal guardians

If a minor under the age of 18 is travelling alone without any adult supervision, please make sure the that the following documents are produced:

  • An Unabridged Birth Certificate showing the details of the mother and father
  • A new affidavit from the parents or legal guardians proving permission for the minor to travel alone, as well as all the contact details
  • Certification relating to the individual receiving the minor in South Africa: a letter which include the individual’s contact details and residential address, as well as a copy of his or her ID document, passport or residence permit.



Dec 22
Safe Travels to All! https://t.co/hgcxEM69ke
Dec 14
Free Heli-transfers to Medjumbe! https://t.co/MF4bGLDbUy
Nov 14
Oct 18
Don't miss out on these special offers! https://t.co/IshPtN4dGC
Aug 14
Mozamique Voyages - Your trusted travel partner in Mozambiqe... https://t.co/e0pw0kxhj9